Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Prayers (A Series) Part 1: Invocation

   Scripture, like theology, is not meant only to be read or memorized, but to be lived. And because it is meant to be lived, at every moment, in every part of our internal and external lives, with every part of our being, it is also meant to be prayed. This is one of the best, most useful, and most beautiful things which I was taught in seminary: To pray the Scriptures, offering back to God the words He has given us -- and thereby becoming united in that offering to the Word and will of the One Who spoke them first. For, "this is the confidence that we have toward [God], that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15). And of course, we know God's will most clearly through the revelation given in Scripture.

   So, since this is a lesson which has stuck with me, and which I now recommend to everyone I can (that the Bible does not only command us to pray but also teaches us how; that we ought to pray God's words back to Him, and so unite ourselves to His will and find ourselves asking for those things He wants us to ask for and desires to give), and also since I recently rediscovered the lessons in which I myself first learned this, I am going to share the Scripture-based prayers that I wrote for my Communication 1 class at RTS Orlando. And, since it is Lent, I ask you who read them to also pray them along with me, and join me in seeking our Heavenly Father. (Endless thanks go to Professor Glodo for his teaching and guidance in that class, and in this topic in particular.) Here is the first (I think) prayer I was asked to write:

An Invocation

[Based on Hebrews 13:20-21 (and referencing Psalm 23, Philippians 4, and Ephesians 2)]


“Heavenly Father, God of peace
You who brought again from the dead your Son Jesus,
our Lord and Savior, who shepherds and protects us
who restores our souls,
who feeds us even in the face of our enemies
who in His own body tore down the wall of separation
and united us in Himself to you
and so Himself became our peace


Grant us through Him your peace
which surpasses all understanding
even in the midst of our chaotic
and hurried lives.


And by the blood of the eternal covenant
by which You have made peace with us
who were Your enemies
equip us now with everything good
that we may do Your will
and by Your Holy Spirit work in us --
in our hearts and minds and souls and bodies,
in our very lives --
that which is pleasing in Your sight
through Jesus Christ, our only Lord


To whom with You and the Holy Spirit
be all glory and honor
Now and forevermore. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Please keep them meaningful and appropriate. If you would prefer to send a private email, I can be reached at Sean.M.Eha@gmail.com.