Wednesday, February 1, 2017

"Breath and Dust"

You cursed the ground, and with it us
For we are made of breath and dust
Forsaken by Your breath, we die
Who only by You were alive

So here: I bring all I can claim

This wretched pile of filth and shame
My worthy deeds are dirt and death
For such am I, without Your breath

I've done the last of all I can

And reached the end of all I am
And face now death, the boundary
And limit of totality

This limit You've already passed

As form, beauty that ever lasts
To farthest reaches, as a slave
And farther still, beyond the grave

You have desired and sought me

In the depths of my depravity
Brought back the fellowship I'd lost
To raise me up, at any cost

Restored Your image to our flesh

Your dust again filled with Your breath
In Whom we live, and move, and breathe
In Whose thrall only are we free

And with Your blood You ransomed us

Who had forsaken You for dust
On the cross made our rejection
Of You into our salvation

Then rose, to raise us up as well

Having destroyed the gates of hell
For in our furthest exile we
Cannot escape Your love's great reach

Your peace has conquered our violence

Sorrow is swallowed in Your bliss
And our most abysmal sins
Are drowned in Your love's great abyss!


--------------------------------------------

    This is, in my opinion, the best poem I have written to date. It is, at least, certainly my favorite, and so, since it also covers the central themes of the Faith in which I live and for the expounding of which I have started this blog, I thought it would be a fitting first post. More to come, as the Lord allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Please keep them meaningful and appropriate. If you would prefer to send a private email, I can be reached at Sean.M.Eha@gmail.com.